TFAS Summer Course in Hong Kong : My Experience

"Kaamala! Here is something you might want to apply! Have a look!, our organization's president as well an alumnus of The Fund For American Studies, Mr. Surath Giri introduced me to the summer course at AIPE one day.

When I opened the link, at first, I was attracted by the Hong Kong city more than the program itself. The program looked interesting too, but I hesitated to fill up the form because I have a fear of rejection.  But then I closed my eyes and convinced myself that I could do it. I told myself that it was an opportunity to explore the world and the challenges were worth taking upon. So I decided to go for it. Writing the scholarship letter was hectic though. And I also struggled with other writings that were required for the application process. But somehow I pulled myself through it.



University of Hong Kong
After a month, when I received an email telling me that I got selected in the second round, my heart leaped with joy. I was apprehensive about the Skype interview though. After the interview, I was worried about the final email. Later, I received an email from the Director of AIPE that I was selected for the summer course. My happiness knew no bounds. I burst into tears, tears of happiness and success. But there were still many things that I needed to overcome. I was worried about the visa process of Hong Kong. Every Nepalese citizen must obtain a visa for Hong Kong before arriving in HK for whatever purpose including transit. I filled twelve-page long visa application form, and the worst part for me was payment of visa fee. I was not aware of the capital account control system of our Government. That moment was embarrassing when I received the email from Hong Kong Visa department about not accepting the draft of the visa fee I was worried how to manage this stuff. Being a Nepali at that moment, I realized it is so difficult to live in the country where there is no any provision of the financial system, no visa card, no pay pal accounts and no Debit card.

When I started to make my Hong Kong visa application, the memory of it was enough to give me a panic attack. A lot of nights were rendered sleepless by this question: Is my Hong Kong Visa application approved? I tried to detect a pattern on the email messages applicants have received in an attempt to read meaning into them and find that glimmer of hope that my application was successful. Luckily Hong Kong is the friendliest of countries, and immigration is there to help. They even answer their email in time, give consistent information. But then also it was my daily routine to check the email from immigration department of Hong Kong.  I got an email from Hong Kong Visa department about the acceptance of the visa. I had to figure out how to make it happen, it’s quite an obscure and rare visa, and I didn’t know anyone who had ever gotten it, and even Immigration themselves weren’t sure about a few things related to it because, in their words, it's very difficult to get student visa for Nepalese students.

Crossing the line and the boundaries was not an easy job I realized at that moment. Convincing my parents was also a tough job for me. Crying, screaming and fighting with my siblings was the daily task for me. However, I convinced them. I was counting days, minutes, even a single seconds for the flight day. But I was unaware of the money exchange things the provision was quite irritating and frustrating for me. I realized that how can those 1700 hundred students who travel abroad for their higher studies managed the things. Why our country still lacking behind in this sector? This made me think the whole day, the nights even every moment. I was compelled to research this stuff.
4th July 12:50 pm

I packed my bags. I was ready for everything. I went to the airport and again faced the same problem with immigration. What is the purpose of the visit? Who is the sponsor? And different stupid questions. Yes, it’s a stupid question for me because I had everything in my hand the letter of proof and the sponsorship letter, but instead of looking those documents he was asking me. I managed to reply him all the answers and went inside for the boarding. After a long struggle, I was there carrying a bag alone and wondering why my country is still poor. It was third security checking at the airport, and I was about to scold somebody, but I let them do their work. That’s the fact we all Nepalese have to face because of the poor management. 

After all those ups and downs I was there at the Delhi transit for eight hours. It was 1:30 A.M. I board another flight to complete my journey. As the plane descended, I looked out the window and saw nothing but clouds. I was hoping for a view of Hong Kong during our descent, but it wasn’t until we were just about to touch down on the tarmac did we finally break through the clouds, or should I say, foggy-haze.  

Student Kit by TFAS
I was nervous, excited at once. I was unaware of the provision of the new country. The rules, regulations, and environment. I was there at 8 A.M everything was different people, their language even the environment was different, and it was my first trip to Hong Kong. I had read over some of the short histories and knew to expect most people of Chinese ethnicity, but as I would clearly learn the Hong Kong people feel very much different and independent from the mainland Chinese.

The University of Hong Kong was the final destination of my journey. I was not aware of the card system, MTR, and tramp. Being a Nepalese girl, who is so used to with the fully loaded bus 24 hours, which are used to with the dust and all the pollution it was difficult for me to cope with that fresh environment. The greenery and the huge ocean. It was a time to feel the cultural differences and cope with that situation. I took airport express and then the MTR and then the long walk with my baggage.

The University of Hong Kong I took a step in that place where I needed to manage my 27 days with new people. It was a difficult moment for all people to sit outside with totally different people from different countries and I was the one. Swire hall, the place where I was supposed to do registration and finalize my dorm. I was on the lower ground floor of K. k lounge where my eyes were looking for some help to identify the right place. I was thinking I was dreaming; I was in heaven. The environment was alluring. Everyone was busy with their stuff. My feet were moving slowly and slowly towards the hall.

 Finally, I passed the global lounge and moved towards the left. Joanne, a beautiful lady in front of me with the long list placed me in room number 506 with my Georgian roommates. I was nervous everything different I went up closed my eyes and think how to cope with these people for so many days being like same family members. I questioned myself how is that possible? My room was small but modern and more than adequate. I heard someone who was knocking the door I said come in, she was none other than Tiko, my roomies, her smile was so friendly. I said hello with fear of not getting the reply, but she seems so excited to meet me. I then realized that everyone was alone and searching for friends.

We went out together to have something because both of us was dying out of hunger. We came to know the food place, but it was closed because of the weekend. We went out and had some noodles with beef. I then missed my Nepalese cuisine. Mo: Mo, chow mien, choilla, and other spicy food over there. We talked a lot shared different things and the cultural differences after all we need to manage ourselves for more 27 days. It was a time to meet lots of AIPE family member's right at 7 pm in the global lounge. We were there with lots of new faces around. The introduction program and the dinner everything went well. Lots of new friend with different qualification and professions. We were aware of our tomorrow's classes and the university visits. I was tired. I went up to the dorm and slept.

Hong Kong City Visit
The second day at the University of Hong Kong we all went to visit universities different places and different buildings it was amazing. I was wondering about everything over there. After the visit, we went to the first floor of the K.K lounge. A big well-furnished classroom. I went to the first-row left side of that classroom. Dr. Wanzel young, handsome guy with spectacles in his eyes was standing in front of me with his welcome smile to all the participants in his face which makes the environment-friendly. Professor started his classes with the short introduction and expectation of the classes. I was worried to speak up among 72 participants showing my qualities what made me the difference and got selected to TFAS program.  Basic of economics was our first class where I got another opportunities to recall about "economics is all about means and ends, it’s a positive science not a normative." And then the classes were full of fun learning. The moment I came to realize dare to be different. I was used to with some concepts of political economy. But then also the theory of Hayek was interesting who is well-known for his numerous contributions in the field of economics and political philosophy. Hayek's approach mostly stems from the Austrian school of economics and emphasizes the limited nature of knowledge. His thoughts are different it was not new for me to understand the different controversy about the philosophy of different economist because the best way to understand Hayek’s vast contributions to economics and classical liberalism is to view them in light of the program for the study of social cooperation laid out by Mises.  Another hero Mises was the acknowledged leader of the Austrian School of economic thought, a prodigious originator in economic theory, and a prolific author. I came to know about different prominent economists who contributed lots to make a change in their society. For me, the article I pencil was not new, but that day I came to realize the value of needs and wants. Every political economy classes went well with discussion and conclusion at the end of those heroes who profound different thoughts and played on that thoughts to make a difference. How can I forget the superhero of free market economy.it was one of the best classes of Dr. Wanzel? Milton Friedman and his contributions he strongly believed in free markets and minimal government interference in the best long-term monetary policy for a healthy economy. When I got to know more about the economists and their theory there I was comparing Nepalese economics with others countries economics thoughts. It was really hard for me to say that I am from that country who is struggling to make a change and where there is political instability, and there is no government intervention. I was in a deep thought how the theory works in a practical life. Even though I was aware of the economic freedom is only the way to bond political freedom at the very moment I was completely blank with those ideas because I belong to that country where there is no any practice of free market economy. Lots of youths don’t know and are not aware of the economic status of Nepal they even don’t know that it was a market that guaranteed individual liberty. Political economy classes were quite interesting and informative, and then I realize that it was the last class of political economy. In a very short time, I was full of information about lots of economists and their thoughts. I was there comparing Nepalese economics with other countries' economies. I was there dying every day dreaming my country how to make everything better, better in every aspect transportation, education, and communication and health facilities.

Dr. Wanzel taking class on Economics
The second part of the political economy was the political philosophy. Political philosophy is the study of fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence its and ideology of thoughts. Professor Thomas was standing in front of us with the hope to share lots of ideas about ancient political philosophy, philosophy and the arts and classical liberalism. The long presentation about different economists was interesting as well quite boring. From her classes, I was able to question myself about why we need a free society. What is liberty for Nepalese people? What is liberalism and what is a democracy? We usually talk about democracy, but that day I came to know more about what exactly democracy is for me for Nepalese people who even don’t know the different ideology? I was impressed by professor's teachings about the foundational mythologies of a free society. I came to know more about the philosophical thoughts Bhagavad Gita and the readings of "Mencius" in classical Chinese philosophy. The readings and thoughts of Aristotle were amazing, being an economics student I was not aware of different philosophical knowledge and thoughts. After lots of reading and research, I then start to compare those thoughts in Nepalese economics. I was questioning myself about the importance of civil society and voluntary associations for freedom and democracy in the country like Nepal. I again got a chance to recall the past readings of Friedman's book - Capitalism and freedom. 

After all the hectic classes I got that opportunities to hear from wonderful guest speakers. Mr. Andrew Work who is the Chief Executive officer and the publisher of Harbour times, "the Economic History of Hong Kong" it was great learning about the Hong Kong's history, the struggle, and their success story. At the moment I realized that everything is possible in life. Another guest lecturer was professor FAN Ruiping he was the chair professor in the department of public policy in city university Hong Kong. During his class, I came to know more about the Chinese history and their settlement. Ms. Tara Joseph who is the president of The American Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong shared her life experience and encouraged us to be more focused. She inspired us by sharing her travels diaries and also share how she was connected with Nepal. I must say I am one of the luckiest girls who got those wonderful opportunities to meet these inspiring people from around the world. 

Cultural Presentation
The success story of TFAS was the cultural presentation and the sites visits. Cultural Presentation was fun, and also it was an opportunity for participants to reflect their cultures and yes it’s a big responsibility too. Sites visit was fun learning too. I was lost in the dream of Hong Kong History museum it was mind-blowing. I wondered how people capture different meaning. Science Museum was covered with lots different invention and information. 

The most informative visit was the visit to the legislative council of Hong Kong. It was free to all people to get inside of legislative council and have rights to know about the council members work. The main functions of the Legislative Council are to enact, amend or repeal laws; examine and approve budgets, taxation, and public expenditure; and raise questions on the work of their government.  Being a Nepalese citizen, I don’t have any authority to visit our parliament house.



Another interesting place was Hong Kong Monetary Authority visit. Hong Kong Monetary Authority is a government authority in Hong Kong which is responsible for maintaining monetary and banking stability. HKMA helps in promoting the stability and integrity of the financial system, including the banking system and also help to maintain Hong Kong's status as an international financial center, including the maintenance and development of Hong Kong's financial infrastructure.


Victoria Harbour
Finally, for me, the place was just WOW! The best place was Victoria Harbour which is a truly a lifeline of Hong Kong island. Victoria Harbour is famous for the symphony of light. The night view of the beaches of Victoria Harbour is a famous attraction for the people the lights blaze so magnificently and so beautifully around the Harbour. Another mesmerizing place was Cape De Aguilar who is located at the far southeastern tip of Hong Kong Island I was amazed to see the oldest lighthouse over there, and the environment was pleasing. How can I forget the lama Island which is the third largest island of Hong Kong and the beautiful fishing village? Repulse Bay was another best place.  As I came to know that the beach here is artificial. The Repulse Bay area is one of the most expensive housing areas in Hong Kong. Finally, one of my favorites was the beach at Pui O, on Lantau. It’s long and, unusually, made up of different-colored sands, from white to dark gray, giving it a ‘marble cake’ appearance in places. I was not happy with the food over there, but the fish ball was one of the best food among others. Hong Kong traditional food was good but quite expensive for all the people, the place was good. 

1 comments

  1. Great sharing! When writing a thesis, at times we require a tad of assistance and direction. Fortunately, you can peruse more on this good service where they offer thesis writing services to students. Look at it for yourself!

    ReplyDelete

My Instagram